Monday, December 11, 2006

Mysogyny? Feminism? Both?

Wire mesh item entitled:
'High-heeled shoes. ' Perhaps belonged to the woman who's been out and about?

I said a couple of days ago I'd go back to our school's gallery/exhibition space to look at the strange images more closely and sneak a few photos. I didn't need to sneak them - the artists seemed very pleased by my lense's attention.

The imagery in most of the exhibits had something to do with the feminine, either women and violence, women and sex, women and their reproductive organs, explicit or implicit. A somewhat shocking exhibition, but quite unforgettable, most likely because of the shock factor.

I really loved the melting sculptures. About 15 statue candles were burning and changing right in front of you on a big metal tray in the middle of the gallery.

The artist ( a young girl that looked anything but) seems not to belive in that 'ars longa, vita brevis' stuff, as her art was disappearing before her very eyes. Or, was she saying that everything, indeed, has an expiry date, even art? I should have asked her... perhaps I will if the exhibition is still on on MOnday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home